Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My Son's Self Made Lapbook

My oldest ds came to me yesterday and said he wanted to do a presentation on the Rain Forest and he wanted to do it by himself. (For school we are studying dinos.) I thought it was just something to keep him busy for a few minutes, but much to my surprise, he pulled out our Child Craft Encyclopedias and worked for about two hours!!! This is my 11 year old son-who does not like to read, write nor do schoolwork .
WOW. Then he asks me for a folder to make a lapbook. HUH?!?!? Did HE ask to do a lapbook!?!? After working diligently and telling his brothers to be quiet because he had to concentrate, he shows me his lapbook.
He drew all the pictures, colored them and did a small report on each. He then proceeds to tell me what each drawing is, ect. I am sitting there totally in wonder and awe- he can really do it!!! Here are a few pics of his hard work...

My son and his lapbook- so proud!

Front cover with pic of a Red Eye Tree Frog
Here's what you cant's see- on the left he wrote about trees in the Rain Forest, In the middle is a report about various plants found there and on the right is a Tree Monkey, with a report. Oh, he added a leaf as a little extra something so that we could "scratch and sniff" to enhance our Rain Forest Experience!
Please congratulate him on his blog:  http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/sonicman525                                                                                    

13 comments:

  1. It is such a blessing when we see the fruit of our labor. I will definately go by his blog and praise his work.


    Thank you for sharing.


    Blessings,

    JEN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! As a Momma, I can share your pride in your son. I would be proud too. By the way, I went to your son's blog to post a comment and didn't see a link that would allow me to do that. Perhaps it's set to no comments?


    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!! I bet you had a great time learning all about the rain forest. It would be fun to see what you learned about.

    Cheers,

    ~Fern <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so great. Most moms of 11 year old boys that I know say they are not motivated. I am glad to hear that they can be. My boy is only 2, so he is VERY eager.;) His lapbook looked great.

    Be blessed,

    Chasity

    ReplyDelete
  5. homeschoolingmommaof4August 30, 2007 at 2:32 AM

    That is just wonderful! He did an excellent job. It's great when they just finally seem to get that school work can be fun and interesting.


    Have a blessed day!

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Missy, I wanted to comment your lil man on his lapbook, but I couldn't figure out how to comment on his page either! Please tell him a 14-yo homeschool boy and his Mom from Iowa think its GREAT! And we love his blog page!


    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great Job..How proud you must be..I will go by his blog and tell him so :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I will go to his page and congratulate him on a job well-done. However, I think there are some congrats to be issued to you - awesome momma! Thank You Jesus for blessing Missy to be such a caring mom and excellent teacher! Not to mention an awesome inspiration to the rest of us mommies! I love you guys much - Chan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Super job to both of you! I bet he's inspiring his siblings, and he doesn't even know it. :)


    Maybe you should consider letting him take the reigns once in awhile and let him decide what to study. :) You never know where a rabbit trail can lead! :)


    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son doesn't like to write or read often, so this encourages me that when a subject interests him, perhaps he will do some extra work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. JacqueDixonSoulRestESSeptember 11, 2007 at 6:42 PM

    Neat! I'll bet you were (shocked) and very proud!

    What a great blessing!

    -Jacque

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so cool that he asked to do his own lapbook! And it turned out great! I need to do a lapbook with Deuce and Cody, because it has been awhile, LOL. Your son has inspired me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love your site. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete